Tax Manager (Approx – Advisory 40% / Compliance 60%)
Responsible for the effective management of a mixed portfolio of personal, trust and business tax clients.
- To manage the tax compliance matters of a varied portfolio of clients. The portfolio comprises of a mixture of directors and high net worth individuals whose tax affairs are of varying complexity. The portfolio also includes partnerships and some Trust work.
- To ensure during the course of the tax year that all statutory tax returns are completed and filed on time, are accurate and in keeping with best practice, and that all follow up action is anticipated, planned and implemented. To ensure that clients are kept informed about their obligations and deadlines and that they are kept up to date with any relevant changes in legislation or best practice.
- To identify and discuss with partners opportunities for tax planning.
- To build rapport and maintain regular contact with clients by telephone, email, letter and in person.
- To organise the effective time management of own workload, planning and prioritising, and keeping the Senior Tax Manager/Tax Partner informed of any anticipated bottlenecks or problems with meeting deadlines.
- To be responsible for keeping up to date on all technical matters which affect the Tax Manager’s ability to provide high quality service.
- To undertake any ad hoc projects as requested by the partners.
- Provide support to partners on advisory and project tax work. The advisory work is of a varying nature, but knowledge of a combination of Trusts, Estates, Personal Tax are essential, although a broader knowledge across business and corporate taxes would also be welcomed.
- Provide support across the wider Tax and Accounting Team with the provision of ad-hoc technical support for other staff members.
The Tax Manager needs to be an experienced and capable tax specialist with a broad range of tax experience gained within a practice environment. This experience should include in-depth exposure to varied compliance work including complex cases plus sound knowledge of routine tax planning. A tax qualification is desirable but not essential and could be replaced by substantial relevant experience. An understanding of accountancy is a useful addition.
The Tax Manager must have strong organisational and time management skills with the ability to plan, anticipate bottlenecks in the workflow, cope with conflicting demands and priorities, and to know when to refer problems to the Senior Tax Manager/Tax Partner. He/she needs to have a very good eye for detail, be methodical and take pride in producing neat, clear and accurate work.
The Tax Manager must also have good communications skills with the ability to convey technical information clearly to clients in a way that gives confidence to them that their tax affairs are being managed professionally, competently, and efficiently.
He/she should also have good interpersonal skills and a professional manner and be able to build and maintain effective relationships with clients and colleagues.
KnoxRecruit is the trading name of the office support specialism of eXactitude Resourcing Limited and is acting as a recruitment agency in relation to this role. eXactitude complies with all relevant UK legislation and doesn’t discriminate on any protected characteristics.